The Community Toolkit is a practical legal resource designed to support organisations working in the community (not-for-profit) sector. It’s aimed at those who:
- are planning to set up a new community group, or
- are reviewing how their existing community group is structured and organised, or
- are involved in managing an existing community group and want information about their group’s legal powers and obligations.
If you’re setting up a new group or reviewing your existing group’s structure and organisation, you may find you need help answer the following sorts of questions:
- Should your group seek charitable status?
- What kind of legal structure should your group have?
- How can your governance structure can incorporate and reflect Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- What other laws will you need to know about?